Sunday, September 1, 2013

Work life

A little over four years ago,  I graduated from nursing school.  The whole time that I was in school,  I was convinced that I wanted to work in labor and delivery.  However, a few weeks before I graduated,  I found out I was pregnant with Maggie which meant that I had to stay at the hospital I had been working at in order to qualify for any sort of maternity leave.
My hospital didn't have any positions open in labor and delivery and I wasn't up for trying new departments while pregnant so I stayed on my med/surg/oncology floor where I had worked as a student. 
I didn't love it,  at times I hated it,  but I got along with my coworkers and I was comfortable. 
In April,  a labor and delivery position opened up and the recruiter called to ask if I was interested.  After a few interviews,  I got the position.  It meant working night shift for the first time ever, but it was what I wanted.
It's now been about two months and I really like it.  In three weeks,  I will be switching back to day shift which will be easier on the girls and on my husband's schedule for work.
It's just really hard to start over, especially after being so comfortable in my old unit. I like the people on this unit, but I don't know them in the same way.  I definitely don't have the same comfort level in my skills that I had before.  I've gone from being the resource person to needing a resource person.  I know it will get easier but I am far from it right now. 
Here's a cute Lucy picture to cheer up this depressing post.

No comments:

Post a Comment